Friday, August 29, 2008

I wonder what she is doing right now

It has been a very interesting 6 months around here. We started our international adoption journey in March of this year without much of a clue as to what it would all entail. We had always known we wanted to adopt, but out of our frustration with the foster care system grew the decision that if we ever DID manage to adopt, we would choose international adoption. We began climbing the Paperwork Mountain...quite the adventure!

We chose to adopt an orphan with Down's Syndrome. I had an aunt with Down's Syndrome, and she made a huge impact on me growing up. For starters, I was named after her. I don't think that was a "done" thing back then, but I do know that it made my grandmother very happy. I used to love going to Wietske's group home for her birthday and other special occasions. She was so loved, so embraced by family.....

When we learned what the fate is of children with Down's Syndrome in Eastern European countries, I could not help but think back on Wietske and her life that was so full of acceptance, opportunities and love from her large family. I imagined her in heaven with God, having her little customary evening drink she used to enjoy with her earthly daddy, and thanking Him for the family she was given on earth. Wietske, and the wonderful way her family raised and supported her, gave me the tools I needed to raise my own son with Asperger's Syndrome. It was an inspiration not everyone gets to have. How do you thank someone for that?

By doing it again. By taking what you were taught and using it in your own life now.

Soon we have our appointment for our official referral for G. in Ukraine. (Name will be revealed later). He is an adorable 4 year old boy with Down's Syndrome, and we cannot WAIT to bring him home!!!! After 7 miscarriages and many foster children who did not get to stay for various reasons....this litle boy is our dream come true.

I think Wietske would have approved. Thank you for being an inspiration, sweetie. I know you would have loved to meet G. and give him a big cuddle. I know you would have wanted for each and every orphan with Down's Syndrome to find a family. To be loved the way you were loved.

Wietske's Wish. And ours.

Please visit http://www.reecesrainbow.com/ to see how you can help. And come visit our blog here to follow our journey to bring home our new son from Ukraine!

No comments:

In nije dei, live

Followers

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed