Sunday, January 18, 2009

Going Live.....

I get the Most Uptight Parent of the Year Award this evening.

Mass was at 5.30 pm. Life teen (youth group) is right after.

This evening the Main Attraction for youth group was....


A real live ultrasound!

Nope.

Not kidding.

One of the Core members is an ultrasound tech. She is doing a real live ultrasound in the parish hall on a pregnant woman in our church, so the teens can see Real Life.

Flame me if you wish. But I just do not frigging THINK SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a few issues with this.

1) Medically this seems unethical. This is a medical procedure. Performed in a youth group. Not cool.

2) I think it is really really odd to have a bunch of teenage boys and girls stare at a woman's exposed belly and watch a baby inside her. To me, this is too close to Sex education and A) has no place in youth group being demonstrated this way and B) NO parental consent was obtained. None of the parents knew about this "event" until 10 minutes before it was due to happen.

3) You only know the teens in your group as well as the things they tell you, for the most part. Not all teens have involved parents. I can totally see how something like this could be a trigger for a girl who had an abortion or has perhaps been sexually been abused in some way. Again, might have been nice if parents had a prior CLUE????

4) for a church that speaks of the sanctity of Life and the marriage that brought it forth, this public ultrasound seems contradictory to the nature of the private marital miracle that this baby is.

Words fail me folks. I am just floored. The first ultrasound my son watches better be in medical school OR his wife's. He did not attend this evening.

No comments:

In nije dei, live

Followers

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed