Friday, September 26, 2008

Fireworks and holy water

Last night was quite interesting. It was 10 pm and suddenly the internet died. The phones died. Nothing worked. Isaac is taking a shower and I hear what sounds like very loud machine gun shots and bombs outside. I see flashing lights across the sky. I walked into the livingroom area and on tv it showed tanks rolling in, and photos of soldiers.

I could feel the blood drain from my body right there and then. I don't think I have ever been so scared in my entire life. I thought that the Russians invaded.

Nah.

Apparently it was fireworks and just a set of circumstances that made it look bad in combination. Yup, I am an idiot. Isaac is on the phone with Marina, our facilitator, asking if there is anything going on politically and I am sitting on the bed like a fool sobbing in my hands from the stress. Hit me with the clue by four anytime folks.

Our visits are going well. He is so happy when we come! Today he choked on a piece of banana and it was serious enough that I had to use the skills for choking taught in our infant cpr class. I was able to dislodge it but he cried so heartbreaking it made me feel awful.

We have discovered a huge market near the orphanage. We bought some shoes for him (10 dollars for Italian leather shoes!) and a jacket. Hannah got a hat. While walking down one of the isles, am Orthodox priest approached. He was blessing things as he walked by. When he came close enough he dipped that brush and I got a shower of Holy water!! I was actually very comforted by that. Being Catholic, it was a special thing for us.

To everyone at home...we miss you like crazy. Thanks so much to everyone who is pitching in with the kids and the animals.....we love you and we appreciate you more than we can say. Marie...big hugs and even bigger thanks!!!!!!

We are going to buy some water at the market and turn in for the night. Hopefully no more fireworks tonight!!!!

4 comments:

Alice said...

So scary! I would have panicked, too, if I thought the Russians were invading.

I'm so sorry about the choking incident! That must have been scarier than the fireworks.

orphans4me said...

Oh Anna, I'll bet that was SCARY. Don't be too hard on yourself for being frightened. You're in unfamiliar territory and things seem more emotional. I'm glad the visits are going well.
Joy,RR

Unknown said...

Well heck! I would have thought the Russians had invaded as well!

After all that, what were they celebrating?

Flush said...

they were celebrating the 577th anniversary of the town....go figure lol.

In nije dei, live

Followers

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed